Birth / Death Registration…………………. KOLKATA
I. IMPORTANT GENERAL INFORMATION
1) Birth or Death certificates can be obtained only if the event of birth or death is registered.
2) Under the existing Registration of Births & Deaths Act 1969 any event of the birth or death is to be compulsorily registered within 21 days of its occurrence.
3) Delayed registration of events beyond 21 days but within one year can be done with the permission of the concerned Registrar to obtain birth & death certificates.
4) Delayed registration beyond one year of occurrence of birth or death can only be done on the orders from Executive / 1st Class Magistrate of the area.
5) Births or deaths occurring in places within the area under KMC jurisdiction can only be registered by the KMC.
6) The entire KMC area is divided into 15 boroughs for administration and the office of the Executive Health Officer of each borough is the Registration Unit for all births occurring within the Borough.
ll. PROCEDURE TO OBTAIN BIRTH CERTIFICATES
A. For Birth events occurring in
1) Birth certificates can be obtained from the concerned office of the Borough Ex. Health Officer usually after 6 weeks from the date of birth.
2) Computer printed certificate can be obtained only from the KMC Main Office, Heath Department at 5, S.N. Banerjee Road, Kolkata - 700 013 usually after 8 weeks from the date of birth.
3) Above  and  are subject to the condition that all birth events are reported in prescribed registration format by the private hospitals / nurshing homes within 21 days from the date of occurrence to concerned borough Ex. Health Officer as a mandatory requirement.
4) Name of child can be inserted at the time of taking birth certificates.
B. For birth occurring in Govt. Hospitals in Kolkata
1) Birth certificates can be obtained from the concerned ward health unit upto period of 1 (one) year from the date of birth on production of medical certificate of birth issued by the hospital.
2) Birth certificate if not collected within one year from the date of birth can be obtained from KMC Main Office, Health Department, subject to verification of birth reports submitted by the respective hospital.
3) Name of child can be inserted at the time of taking birth certificate.
C. For Domiciliary birth events:
1) Domiciliary events of birth shall be reported by the head of family to the concerned ward health unit for registration within a month but not later than 1 year along with production of medical certificate of birth issued by a Medical Practitionar, Midwife, Traditional Birth Attendant. Birth certificate can be obtained on the spot from the ward health unit.
2) Birth certificates in respect of domiciliary events not reported within one year can be obtained only delayed registration on orders of First Class Magistrate from the concerned borough Ex. Health Officer [up to 20 years] and KMC Main Office [beyond 20 years].
III. PROCEDURE TO OBTAIN DEATH CERTIFICATES:
1) In cases when dead bodies are brought to Crematorium of Burial Ground under KMC for disposal -
Death events are registered in the Crematorium or Burial Ground and death certificates are issued from there on the spot.
2) In cases when dead bodies are disposed of in place outside KMC are-
Death events are registered in the KMC Main Office, Health Department at 5, S.N. Banerjee Road, Kolkata - 700 013 and death certificate can be obtained from there on the spot.
IV. NON AVAILABILITY CERTIFICATE:
If an event of birth or death is not found registered, a Non-availability certificate in prescribed format can be obtained from KMC Main Office, Health Department at 5, S.N. Banerjee Road, Kolkata - 700 013.
V. CHARGES TO BE PAID FOR BIRTH AND DEATH CERTIFICATE:
1) For first copy of Birth Certificate within a period of one Year from the date of birth Rs. 10/-
2) For first copy of Birth Certificate beyond one year from date of birth Rs. 100/-
3) Additional copies of birth certificates (computer printed) Rs. 100/- each copy
4) For first 2 copies of Death certificate Rs. 10/- each copy
5) Additional copies of Death certificates (computer printed) Rs. 50/- each copy
6) Non-Availability Certificate Rs. 300/-